Sunday, January 9, 2011

the birth story

A month later, I am finally getting a chance to record how Mac2.0/Wink/Bug got here...

I had a regular Monday night. The Hubs worked, Bubby and I watched the first episode of The Sing Off on which I learned there was REALLY a group called the Whiffenpoofs (and it wasn't just a Gilmore Girls thing).  I went to bed around eleven that night.  Around midnight I woke up feeling contractions. I timed them - about 8-10 minutes apart.  I was able to sleep in between them, but I kind of felt in my gut this could be the real deal.  A little after one the contractions were about five minutes apart and stronger.  After having so many false alarms, I wanted to wait and see if they would go away.  I let The Hubs know what was going on.  Around 2we made the decision that I needed to go to the hospital.  The contractions weren't stopping.  The Hubs stayed at home with Bubby incase it was another false alarm.  We didn't want to have to wake up Auntie Missa and Uncle Fman for nothing.  I would communicate with The Hubs via texting since the hospital has terrible cell phone reception.

I called the hospital, and of course they wanted to see me with what was going on and with my history.  I got there between 2:30 and 3 AM I think.  They checked me - I was 3 cm and 80-90% with contractions 2 minutes apart at this point.  They gave me more Procardia, had me drink a ton of water, and had me walk the halls for an hour to see if the contractions would stop/if I would stay at a 3.  I didn't.  I was at 4.  They had me walk again for another hour, then they checked me again.  I was 4 1/2.  I called The Hubs who took care of calling my brother and sister-in-law to come over to watch Bubby.  The contractions were very strong when I was walking the halls. I had to stop at some points when they hit.  When The Hubs got there, I was out of L&D triage and in my own room waiting for my epidural.  There was shift change right before the epi so I had to wait awhile, and while the contractions were painful, I wouldn't describe them as agonizing (which apparently another patient did while I was there getting an epidural I overheard the doctors say).  Anyhoo - I was very brave and had the student anestheisiologist do the epi this time. Can you believe it?  It took awhile, but once it was in and working, I felt amazing. :)  And eventually I had very, very numb legs.  So much so that the nurse had to move my leg for me when they needed it moved.  By 9 AM I was at 6.  At 11 I was at a 7.  Eight at noon.  Around this time I think my mom, sister-in-law, brother, and Bubby arrived to hang out for awhile, and a little bit after that my dad and step-mom got there.  By 2:30 I was told I was going to be able to be pushing very soon.  The nurse had me do a practice push before the doctor got back (she had been by around noon and I think they gave me a little pitocin then to move things around.)
The doctor got there and everyone had left the room by this point except The Hubs I might add - oh everyone that I knew - there were the typical L&D people, some NICU people, AND the paramedic that I allowed to come in to watch. Yes, folks, by baby #2 you apparently don't care who is in the room at all. :)  Anway, the doctor was there, and I gave two rounds of pushing (that's it - don't be jealous - small baby but baby who spent days in the NICU) and he was here.  As he was out the doctor told me to open my eyes. Amazing.  Slimy, yes, but amazing.  The Hubs got to cut the cord this time (that wasn't an option with Bubby due to how early he came/the conditions of his arrival), and they cleaned the baby up and I could hold him for a bit.  The Hubs even got to go with the baby to be admitted into the NICU - so much different this time than with Bubby when he was whisked pretty quickly out of the room.
I cried when I saw my son. I don't think it matters if it is your first baby or your tenth. There is something miraculous about being given the gift of a child - through whatever means you are blessed to have one - and seeing him for the first time.  The responsibility, the enormity, fragility of it all meshes together in that moment which is just about as sacred as any moment can get.  You know in that moment unconditional love - for this child has done nothing to earn your love and will do nothing to lose your love - you love him just because he exists and just because he is yours.  And you know without a doubt you will do whatever is in your power to do what is best for him.  And in that moment you glimpse the face of God, you hear His heartbeat, and you know just a fraction of the love He has for you.  And you are humbled and amazed and grateful. Incredibly grateful.

"And from His fullness we have received grace upon grace."  John 1:16 (ESV)

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me.