- She is a giver. My mom has gone above and beyond sacrificing for my brother and I. I know that she has passed up many material things and opportunities in order to not only provide for our needs, but also for some of our wants. There were times she worked two jobs as a single mom to put food on the table and to make sure that while we didn't have everything our friends did, that we didn't go without some of the things they had. My mom not only gives to her children (and now grandchild), but she gives to her friends, her kids' friends, and to her students. My mom has always taught students who have nothing. She has made sure her students have school supplies, lunch money, school clothes, a computer for college, etc. She does all of this without recognition or repayment and without complaint. She gives of her time. She visits us as often as she is able to instead of taking a real vacation somewhere exotic or relaxing. She has taken care of her parents and gone above and beyond for them. I seriously have never met anyone who gives as much as she does.
- She is a great friend. She is loyal and authentic. What you see is what you get. She will not give you advice unless you ask for it, and even then, she remembers that it is advice, not a mandate. She is not judgemental, and she can keep a secret.
- She is stinkin' hillarious. Even in the middle of the tensest moments, we can find things to laugh about. We find joy and ridiculousness in the simplest things. I can think of a zillion inside jokes from over the years.
- She is MOM. Not just to her kids, but to her kids' friends. Both my brother and I have several friends who decided to call my mom, Mom. Throughout my teenage and college years, I was told many times, "I wish my mom was like your mom," not because my mom was "cool," but because my mom wouldn't freak out about little things, she knew how to apologize, and you could come to her with problems or questions without having to worry.
- I am so thankful my mom is my mom. She has been there for every major moment offering her love and support through all of the ups and downs. I am very glad she is Babushka to my son, and I don't know where I would be without her.
Saturday, August 7, 2010
Happy Birthday, Mom
It is almost my mom's birthday. If you know my mom, you know what an amazing person she is. A lot of daughters claim to have a great relationship with their mom, but I know just what a gift our relationship is. Not that we don't have our moments where we drive each other nuts... but we are close enough that we can deal with that honestly and go and grow from there. In honor of her birthday, here are some of the things that make my mom so great!